What is Pinterest?
What is Pinterest and why do people follow and pin content? How can I use this information to build my business through Pinterest?
Pinterest is a search engine so that people can save content that they like. There are private profiles as well as brands and business profiles.
In my opinion, and from talking to others, I understand some of the reasons people pin are as follows:
- a) People follow people who give valuable information on their hobbies and interests. They try to get new information.
- b) People follow boards of topics, and people who pin content on topics, that interest them. This may be just to see photos of flowers or outer space.
- c) People search Pinterest for ideas.
This could be ideas for
- (1) Recipes for everyday meals or special occasions.
- (2) Crafts to make for their home, gifts or special occasions,
- (3) DIY activities,
- (4) Home decoration and improvement ideas,
- (5) Fashion ideas, clothing, shoes, jewellery and more,
- (6) Gifts for special occasions
- (7) Hair and makeup tips and recommendations
- (8) Diet and exercise tips and hints
- (9) Cleaning and home care Ideas they can pin and look at later
- (10)Travel destination ideas, or to see the world through the eyes of others because they can’t travel themselves
- (d) People pin their own photos to share with others, to join in the community atmosphere.
- (e) People use Pinterest as a Dream board. They pin ideas to focus their goals on. This could be a travel destination, a home or maybe a motor vehicle that they are building their goals towards
Businesses use Pinterest
- a)To get ideas for product trends, and products to sell.
- b)To find an audience to promote their product, service, blog or website to.
- c)To showcase their products.
- d)To build social proof
- e)To see what their competition is doing.
- f)To showcase a product and send people to a website through an affiliate link.
How can we use this information?
As a blogger, online business, big brand or even a local bricks & mortar business or service we need to consider why people will pin so that we can try to think like a consumer in the promotion of our business.
Whilst we need to promote ourselves and our products, we also need to look human and not spam people with ‘buy-me’ pins.
With this in mind, I have set up my Pinterest account so that I do not focus just on my brand, but on a wider range of topics. This I believe, with show some credibility when I pin an affiliate-linked product to a board that I have previously posted a lot of good content to.
Many bloggers theme their Pinterest account around their blog and the topics that they talk about. As a blogger, or newbie trying to find information this is good because we can often find ideas. However, when I look at a profile I often think “looks like I am just going to be sold to”. This is something I am trying to avoid with my own Pinterest profile.
As a consumer, I find that continually looking at blogs that have annoying pop-ups to get me to join their email list tends to turn me off. When I scroll up to reread something, up comes another one telling me not to leave yet. At this point, I’m usually out of there.
Yes, this may make them money and to date, I have not made any money from Pinterest or my blogs so it may be just me that gets annoyed and not the general population.
I have subscribed to and unsubscribed from hundreds of email lists over the past couple of years. I am just making the point that as a consumer I find it annoying and often do not read the blog post properly. This content that I was interested in is often just too darn hard to find amid the advertising.
As a user as well as a potential business, I hope I can find a balance. All I can suggest is that you consider all options if setting up a blog or website and use Pinterest to promote to it. Make sure that you are offering helpful information and not just trying to sell yourself.
Would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment below or share on social media.
In my next post, I will describe my first 12 months on Pinterest and share with you what I feel I did wrong.